Profound is an award-winning experience design agency obsessed with building solutions for better Customer Experiences. We design and deliver digital solutions – primarily focused on website and ecommerce projects.
We are a little bit more human, a little bit different and we know our clients appreciate that. We enjoy being a trusted partner, helping remove the pain that surrounds designing and implementing technologies to help our clients create awesome experiences for their customers.
The clients we work with are major brands across the globe, operating across a broad range of B2B and B2C sectors. We help our clients find impactful solutions to meaningful problems, and as a result address customer, business and commerce challenges.
With an equal balance of design and engineering personnel, we all have a passion for delivering the ultimate user experience and this is demonstrated through our award - winning team and our client list pedigree. With a growing reputation for excellence and an increasing number of projects, we are now expanding our team.
We are looking for an empathetic Product Design Lead to help us build and grow our product capability – in particular websites and apps – but also contribute to the development of our design team. This is a very hands on role, with client management responsibilities. And the expectation is that the position will evolve as the team grows.
You will bring extensive UX/UI design experience that will compliment our Senior Designers, but in addition will bring digital product management/leadership experience and be able to lead product lifecycle and development processes.
The expectation of the role includes the ability and confidence to directly manage project relationships with primary client stakeholders and be comfortable in commercial conversations with the client as well as leading the presentation of solutions and showcases.
You will have experience, confidence and preference to work iteratively within an Agile delivery framework and be able to lead on all sprint planning activities as well as occupying a key lead role within the scrum team.
The role will provide leadership and development of our Product design capability, co-ordinating and participating in design activities, leading user research, and leveraging insights to inform decision-making and solution definition.
Reporting to the Director of Experience Design and Innovation, you will work collaboratively as part of the design team, leading and contributing to the definition and design of client solutions and our product design capability. Ultimately we are looking for an experienced practitioner of design thinking who can lead the design streams on projects and develop the capabilities of the wider design team.
Specific Role Responsibilities
- Help define and implement a holistic product vision and design strategy to build delightful experiences for our clients and their users.
- Help cultivate the product design culture of the team, including championing user-centric design thinking across the company and maintaining a collaborative design process.
- Experience of establishing and architecting design systems, and providing governance and assurance over them once established
- Lead client engagements with the client primary stakeholder and be comfortable having commercial project conversations with the client.
- Present solutions and design showcases to senior client stakeholders with confidence to instil trust and credibility
- Lead client workshops and be comfortable facilitating sessions to ensure inputs from all stakeholders
- Work closely with your peers (across all departments) to help solve both user and business goals
- Lead user research to determine the best approaches and methods to capture the right insights; plan and run qualitative studies, including (but not limited to) user interviews, remote and in-person usability studies.
- Communicate research findings to inform business decisions through the best possible means with relevant stakeholders to help inform our decision-making.
- Contribute to the management and growth of the design team this includes hiring and mentoring all levels of designers to deliver their best work.
- Take the lead on digital projects and ensure that the creative output of your team meets the standards expected by the Agency and the Brands we work with.
- Working with clients to formulate design briefs
- Creating detailed prototypes which are informed by functional wireframes and flat design concepts
- Work closely with the Engineering team to encourage collaborative creative thinking and to ensure that the design is translated through to build
- Supporting the test process to ensure websites and apps adhere to the design specification
- Proactively contribute to innovation and improvements within the Experience Design practice
- You have a proven track record of designing successful products that users love, and you will have a solid background in a UI/UX design role.
- You will client-side and/or digital agency experience and a proven track record in digital product projects and end-to-end experience of the project lifecycle
- You will have experience of working in an Agile environment, and be able to estimate, plan, shape and deliver projects within an Agile framework.
- You will have experience of leading client engagements with the client primary stakeholder and be comfortable having commercial project conversations with the client.
- You must be an exceptionally clear communicator including facilitation, presentation and written skills and must have the ability to be pragmatic and drive strong scope management disciplines
- You will be confident in presenting solutions and design showcases to senior client stakeholders to instil trust and credibility
- You must be comfortable in challenging customer feedback to preserve the integrity of the design if they believe a client’s feedback to be damaging to the success of the project
- You have hands-on experience with exploratory and evaluative qualitative research methods; you’ll have previous experience in running research projects and user tests, from planning to running the sessions to analysing and creating deliverables.
- You appreciate the value in research but can also consider practical constraints – you understand what ‘just enough research’ means.
- You have empathy for customer needs but can also consider technical constraints and business goals. You’re passionate about inclusive design and accessibility, and you’ll design with all users in mind
- You’re flexible in your approach and embrace a challenge; you can come up with new ways of answering research questions quickly and communicating the results in a memorable, impactful way.
- You have previous experience in managing designers, critiquing design outputs and working collaboratively as part of the design team.
- You can define design stream delivery plans and lead project estimates
- You can deputise for the director as required
- Experience working in digital product design
- A naturally creative thinker with deep knowledge and experience of UX and UI design
- Strong experience of user research, user testing, product discovery and product management approaches
- A passion for learning about users and designing solutions which solve their needs
- Preferably, some experience of designing processes in small to medium-sized companies and ensuring consistency across multiple teams
- Experience in leading client engagement and commercial conversations
- Experience in leading client presentations and showcases
- Strong web design and preferably also brand design credentials would be advantageous
- An obsession with creating designs that are both visually stunning but commercially effective
- A strong design flare coupled with a solid understanding of web and mobile app technologies
- A strong eye for detail, and a belief that the small details matter
- A thorough understanding of SEO and accessibility requirements
- Competent in the use of Figma and Adobe Creative Cloud software
- Beneficial to be competent in the use of Axure or alternative prototyping software
Education / Professional Qualifications
Relevant Degree educated, 2.1 or equivalent preferable, but equivalent practical experience also considered